Learning pyramid and teaching others

The learning pyramid, also known as the cone of learning shows the different instructional methods and how much learning is retained by learners when employing those instructional methods. The development of learning pyramid is credited to Edgar dale.
























The top four instructional methods in the learning pyramid are described as passive methods and the bottom three are described as active methods. Also, I am not quite sure if group discussions should come under active methods, as I have sat through many group discussions just sitting there and listening to others and then promptly forgetting what was discussed in a matter of hours.

A lot of interpretations of the learning pyramid can be found online. These interpretations accord a percentage weight to the level of learning retention that is facilitated by each different instructional method. There is some criticism of the learning pyramid around the order of instructional methods as well as the percentages ascribed to them as these have not been substantiated by research.

However, if we are not talking about the ascribed percentages, as a general rule the passive methods do not help in learning retention to the same extent as the active method. In my experience, as a teacher for a number of years, experiential learning and teaching others are twio ways in which an individual strives the most to understand and break down their learning. I recall in my early days there were some concepts, that although were clear to me in theory, were not quite clear as far as their various applications were concerned. This changed whIn i had to teach these concepts to others. I found myself trying to think of all the different ways in which the concept could be applied and found myself working much harder on the concept than I ever did when I was learning the.

The common factor, in my opinion, in both experiential learning and teaching others is that both methods afford the learner (experiential learning) and the teacher (teach others) a lot of reflection space. This constant reflection is what I believe, leads one to think of new ideas, applications and interpretations of learning. Contrast this with the so-called passive methods and it is clear that those methods do not provide the learner with as much reflection space as the active ones.

Wish I can get my hands on a study that actually shows how much retention happens when a particular instructional method is used. Until then I will be using this pyramid as a very rough guide to keep in mind.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scaffolding

Change Managemnt

The Learning Hook